Creamy and rich Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte with a sweet, spiced kick. This fall favorite latte tastes warm, spicy and decadent, with roasted hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Table of contents
It's no secret that fall doesn't officially until Starbucks puts up their Pumpkin Spice Lattes. This Homemade Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe is the ultimate drink for this time of year, with a distinct and delightful flavor profile that tastes just like pumpkin pie filling. Made with homemade pumpkin spice sauce, this iced pumpkin spice latte recipe delivers a luxurious aroma and natural sweetness, echoing the comforting essence of pumpkin flavor.
This Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe is the perfect blend of cool, refreshing and warm spices. Made with natural ingredients, this recipe is a perfect copy of Starbucks' famous pumpkin spice, but at a fraction of the cost. This delicious drink is also super easy to make and customise to your personal taste.
For more delightful fall recipes, check out my Homemade Pumpkin Spice Sauce, Pumpkin Chai Latte or creamy Pumpkin Cold Foam. And for all things pumpkin recipes, check out my Pumpkin Cheesecake Cookies or this show-stopping Pumpkin Crunch Cake.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Tastes like real pumpkin: This homemade iced pumpkin spice latte boasts the most authentic fall flavors. Its signature flavor comes from homemade pumpkin pie spice, an aromatic blend with pumpkin puree and warm, cozy spices. This pumpkin latte is like a warm, fuzzy hug!
- Coffee Shop Quality: We all love our Starbucks pumpkin spice latte, but hate the steep price! This homemade recipe tastes just like coffee shop version, at a much lower price! Plus, you get to skip the long Starbucks queues!
- Quick & Easy to make: Embrace the joy of pumpkin spice season without the fuss. All you need is a drizzle of my homemade pumpkin spice syrup, milk and coffee - and your latte is done!
- Customizable: The best part about this spiced pumpkin latte is that you can easily adapt it to your diet requirements or personal taste. You can make it dairy-free, low sugar or add extra toppings for the ultimate taste of fall.
- Pumpkin Puree – You can use either store-bought or homemade puree. For store-bought, sure it’s pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – Adds creamy sweetness to the latte.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Your go-to blend for authentic fall flavors. You can use store-bought or make your own pumpkin pie spice blend.
- Coffee – You can use an espresso machine, strong brewed coffee or cold brew coffee - anything works!
- Milk – Whole milk is ideal, but plant-based substitutes work well too.
Substitutions & Variations
This Homemade Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe is really easy to tweak to fit your taste. Here are some variations to consider:
- Pumpkin Powder - works well as a replacement for pumpkin puree. It's more shelf-stable and easy to use. You only need 1-2 tablespoons of pumpkin powder to make your Pumpkin Spice Sauce.
- Non-Dairy Milk - You can use any plant-based choice of milk substitutes like oat milk, soy milk, coconut milk, and unsweetened almond milk.
- Vanilla Extract – Add a ½ teaspoon to lend an extra layer of sweetness and aroma to your latte.
- Maple Syrup – A natural alternative to sweeteners, it complements the autumnal flavors perfectly.
- Brown Sugar Syrup - add extra sweetness and caramelised flavors with homemade brown sugar syrup!
How to make Homemade iced pumpkin spice latte
1. In a small bowl, combine ingredients for pumpkin sauce.
2. In a large serving glass, combine pumpkin sauce and the cooled espresso.
3. Add semi-skimmed milk up to ⅔ of the glass, then add plenty of ice cubes.
4. Finish with a generous topping of whipped cream, sprinkle more pumpkin pie spice on top and enjoy!
Success Tips & Tricks
- Pure Pumpkin: Ensure you're using real pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. This guarantees an authentic pumpkin taste in your iced latte, without being too sweet or overpowering with spices.
- Quality Matters: For the best iced pumpkin spice latte reminiscent of coffee shop drinks, always use good quality coffee beans. I do not recommend using instant coffee.
- Separate Layers: Pour the milk very slowly when assembling to maintain distinct layers, just like the famous Starbucks iced pumpkin latte.
- Mix it well: Before enjoying, make sure you give your iced coffee a good mix. This helps mix the homemade pumpkin spice syrup's sweetness and achieve that creamy texture.
Frequently asked questions
The pumpkin spice signature latte tastes like warm spices, roasted pumpkin, and rich coffee. It evokes the essence of fall with its creamy texture and hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
While pumpkin spice lattes are indulgent and flavorful, moderation is key. They contain sugar and high calories, especially when topped with whipped cream. However, by making it at home, you can control the ingredients and adjust the sweetness to your preference.
Yes, iced pumpkin latte is usually made with espresso, which contains caffeine. However, you can make it decaf or remove the coffee entirely!
Absolutely! You can easily swap out regular coffee or espresso for a decaf version. This way, you can enjoy the flavors of a pumpkin spice latte without the caffeine.
Every year, Pumpkin spice lattes are starting to come back earlier, generally just before the start of September. In 2023, Starbucks brought it back on the 24th of August!
Yes, both Starbucks-made and homemade pumpkin spice lattes made with plain milk are gluten free, as no wheat is used in the ingredients. However, this can change if you use certain types of oat milk, so make sure you check the label.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will love these too:
If you’ve tried this recipe out, please don’t forget to rate and comment on this post. I love hearing from you, so feel free to reach out to me on social media as well and tag me in your posts!
Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte (Starbucks Copycat)
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin spice sauce
- 3 shots espresso (½ cup)
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk*
- ¼ cup whipped cream
Pumpkin Spice Sauce
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (400 grams)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons water
- pinch of salt
Pumpkin Spice Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients for pumpkin spice sauce in a bowl, mixing well until smooth and creamy.
Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Prepare 3 shots of espresso or ½ cup, then let it cool down slightly.
- Into a large serving glass, add pumpkin sauce and espresso. Mix well to combine.
- Pour semi-skimmed milk about ⅔ of the way, then add plenty of ice cubes, leaving about 1 inch from the top for whipped cream.
- Top with a generous amount of whipped cream, then sprinkle extra pumpkin pie spice for flavor.
- Give everything a good mix before drinking, and enjoy!
- Semi-skimmed milk can be replaced with any non-dairy milk like oat, soy or unsweetened almond milk.
- Nutritional value is estimative and is calculated per serving, without any optional ingredients. This recipe makes 1 large servings.