Indulge in the velvety delight of homemade Chocolate Boba Tea, a dreamy bubble tea made with rich chocolate, creamy milk, and chewy tapioca pearls. This easy-to-make recipe brings the perfect balance of sweetness and chocolatey goodness!
Table of contents
Calling all bubble tea lovers! If you're craving a rich and creamy treat, Chocolate Boba Tea is an absolute must-try. This creamy and rich drink goes beyond typical bubble tea with a twist of sweet chocolate goodness. Trust me, it's pure Heaven!
Currently growing in popularity, Chocolate Bubble Tea is the go-to for hardcore boba lovers! Made with a delightful blend of chocolate, milk and chewy tapioca pearls this absolutely delicious drink will make you wonder why you haven't tried it sooner.
But there's more to this delicious drink! Unlike other bubble tea drinks, Chocolate Boba Tea gets its decadent taste from real chocolate and chocolate syrup, resulting in a really rich and decadent flavor.
Whether you're a seasoned bubble tea lover or just starting your journey into all things boba, make sure to try this delicious Chocolate Milk Tea!
Don't forget to check out my comprehensive list of The Best Boba Tea Flavors for the most popular bobas, fruity bubble teas and more!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Unique and indulgent: Chocolate is an unexpected yet delightful flavor for bubble tea. Give it a try and let the chocolatey goodness win you over!
- Deep cocoa flavor: Chocolate chips and chocolate syrup add natural sweetness. They turn a regular bubble tea into a rich and creamy delight, almost like a chocolate dessert. It's a subtle but deep flavor that will leave you wanting more!
- Perfect for all seasons: This popular drink is both hearty and comforting, making it a year-round favorite for any weather. You can serve it either cold or warm!
- Easy to make at home: This Chocolate boba recipe is straightforward and can be easily made in your own kitchen. The ingredients are accessible and budget-friendly.
- Balanced sweetness: The robust flavor requires just the right amount of sweetness, allowing the rich chocolate flavor to shine.
What is Chocolate Bubble Tea?
Chocolate boba tea, also known as chocolate bubble tea, is a type of milk tea featuring chewy tapioca pearls. The flavour comes from milk and real chocolate, rendering a velvety smooth and rich drink. This chocolate bubble tea recipe is the perfect choice for those looking to experiment with different flavours.
Although not always the top flavour choice, chocolate bubble tea is increasingly gaining popularity across the globe. Typically, it’s decaffeinated, but it can also be made with a caffeine boost by adding a shot of black or even green tea.
The combination of chewy pearls and creamy chocolate flavour is simply heavenly, with the addition of brown sugar syrup lending it a distinct and comforting taste. Chocolate boba is often served in a clear cup to showcase the beautiful amalgamation of chocolate chips, chewy boba pearls, and creamy milk.
Most milk tea shops tend to use commercial artificial flavours or flavoured powders, which can sometimes lead to an artificial taste. However, the chocolate bubble tea recipe below sticks to entirely natural ingredients, resulting in a rich and creamy chocolate flavour.
For both chocolate enthusiasts and bubble tea lovers, chocolate boba represents a treat that absolutely shouldn't be missed! This indulgent drink is the perfect choice for any sweet tooth.
This homemade chocolate milk tea recipe only requires simple ingredients that can be found in most pantries or online. Here’s what’s needed:
- Tapioca pearls – I recommend using quick cooking tapioca pearls, because they’re easy and quick to cook.
- Brown sugar syrup – used to add flavor and sweetness to the boba pearls. You can use store-bought, but for the best flavor I recommend using Homemade Brown Sugar Syrup for Boba.
- Chocolate chips – are needed to add richness and depth to the boba tea. You can use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Milk – whole milk is needed for this recipe.
- Chocolate sauce – optional, but highly recommended to add a boost of chocolate flavor and creaminess.
Substitutions & Variations
This recipe is very customizable, as a the ingredients can be changed to suit your taste. You can swap some of the ingredients, in case you don’t have them on hand:
- Brown sugar syrup – can be replaced with any type of syrup or simple syrup, homemade or store bought. Just make sure it’s slightly on the thicker side.
- Chocolate chips – can be replaced with any type of chocolate or cocoa powder. You can even use hot chocolate mix.
- Milk – whole milk can be replaced with plant-based milk or half and half.
Here are some delightful ways to elevate your chocolate milk bubble tea:
- Cocoa powder: add 1-2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to enhance the flavor
- Whipped Cream: add a dollop of whipped cream on top
- Caramel Syrup: Drizzle some luscious caramel syrup to add a rich and buttery flavor
- Peanut Butter: Stir in a spoonful of velvety peanut butter
- Spices: Spice up your chocolate boba with a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Chili Powder: A pinch of chili powder brings an unexpected and exciting heat
- Espresso: Add a shot of espresso to create a delightful mocha-flavored boba.
- Ice Cream: Mix in a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
How to make Chocolate Bubble Tea
Describe briefly how to make the recipe, keep it concise.
1. Cook tapioca pearls as indicated on the packaging.
2. Separately, prepare the brown sugar syrup. Add the cooked boba pearls into the sugar syrup.
3. In a separate saucepan, heat up the milk until bubbling, then add in the chocolate chips and mix well. Add in any extra flavorings and cook over medium heat until fully combined.
4. Add boba pearls into each serving glass.
5. Optional: pour chocolate syrup on the side of the glass for decoration.
6. Top with milk chocolate and ice if desired. Serve immediately.
Success Tips & Tricks
- High-quality chocolate: Opt for good quality chocolate syrup or real chocolate. The taste of your Chocolate Boba Tea will largely depend on the quality of the chocolate you use. Remember, quality ingredients make a quality beverage!
- Use whole milk: The creamier your milk, the richer your Chocolate Boba Tea will taste. Whole milk is the best choice, but you can also use alternatives like oat milk or almond milk for a different flavor profile.
- Infuse boba pearls with sugar syrup: After cooking the tapioca pearls, toss them in some hot brown sugar syrup. Let them sit for a few minutes to absorb the sweetness and flavor.
- Adjust sweetness carefully: Be mindful of the sweetness, as brown sugar syrup can be quite sweet. Typically, 1-2 teaspoons per large glass should suffice. And remember, the chocolate milk is already sweet on its own.
- Serve immediately: For the best flavor and texture, serve your Chocolate Boba Tea immediately after assembly. Ideally, consume the drink within a maximum of 2 hours of cooking the boba pearls, otherwise tapioca pearls become hard and tough.
- Use bubble tea straws: Due to the size of the cooked boba pearls, you'll need a special, wider straw. Glass bubble tea straws are not only adorable but also reusable and eco-friendly.
- Stir, stir, stir: Prior to enjoying your Chocolate Bubble Milk Tea, give it a good stir with the boba straw. The chocolate syrup tends to settle at the bottom of the glass, so stirring ensures it gets evenly distributed for consistent sweetness throughout.
Serving & Storing
Chocolate Boba Tea is best enjoyed fresh for optimal flavor and texture. I recommend to consume the drink as soon as it's prepared.
Please remember that cooked boba pearls have a short consumption window – they should ideally be eaten within a maximum of 2 hours after preparation. Leaving them for longer can cause them to become hard and lose their appealing chewy texture.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will love these too:
If you’ve tried this recipe out, please don’t forget to rate and comment on this post. I love hearing from you, so feel free to reach out to me on social media as well and tag me in your posts!
Homemade Chocolate Boba Tea Recipe
Chocolate milk tea
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (40 grams)
- 1 cup whole milk (220 grams)
- chocolate sauce, for decorating
- 2 teabags black tea
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- ½ cup whipped cream
- Follow the packaging instructions to cook the tapioca pearls. Cook them in boiling water until they become soft and chewy and raise to the surface. Once cooked, strain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, prepare brown sugar syrup or add store-bought syrup. Heat up the syrup until bubbling.
- Add the cooked tapioca pearls into the syrup, ensuring they're evenly coated. Set aside to absorb the sweet flavors.
- In another saucepan, heat your choice of milk until it starts bubbling. Optionally, add black tea for extra flavor and steep for 4 minutes. Remove teabags and discard.
- Add chocolate chips and stir continuously to melt them evenly. Keep cooking until the chocolate fully melts and blends with the milk.
- Spoon the brown sugar syrup-soaked tapioca pearls into serving glasses, dividing them equally.
- For an indulgent look, drizzle chocolate syrup on the glass sides. Carefully pour the milk chocolate mixture over the pearls.
- If desired, add ice to chill the drink. Serve the Chocolate Boba Tea immediately for the best taste and texture. Stir well to enjoy the creamy chocolate milk with chewy boba pearls.
- Nutritional value is estimative and is calculated per serving, without any optional ingredients. This recipe makes 2 large servings.